>The USGA just released the schedule for days one and two at next week’s US Open. After much speculation they went away from last year’s pairing of the #1 and #2 players in the world playing in the same group.
Tiger starts at 8:06 AM on Thursday with Open champion Padraig Harrington and Masters champion Angel Cabrera. Paddy’s been struggling mightily this year, and we’re yet to find out if Pato is going to go into the kind if hibernation he did for a couple of years after his US Open victory in ’07.
Other interesting groupings:
- Three decent candidates to compete on Sunday afternoon are paired together at 7:55 as Geoff Ogilvy plays with Jim Furyk and Paul Casey.
- Three Uber-kids are teeing off at 1:14, with Dustin Johnson playing with Anthony Kim and Rory McIlroy.
- Watch out for far-flying golf balls in the other 1:14 PM pairing of JB Holmes, Alvaro Quiros, and Nick Watney.
- Lefty tees off at 1:36 PM with two-time US Open champions Els and Goosen.
- It’s the official “Talented But Struggling” group at 1:25, including Sergio, Camilo, and Adam Scott.
- Golf’s version of NHL Greybeards tee off at 1:36, with last year’s hero Rocco Mediate playing with Kenny Perry and Tom Lehman.
It’s worthy of note that the USGA for some unknown reason found it necessary to play some cutesy name game, as Singh and Singh are together, as are Romero and Romero and Hansen and Hansen. They chose not to extend this game to American players (Zach and Dustin Johnson are not playing together, for instance).
The All-Scandinavian, All-Hispanic, and All-Asian groups appear at best silly and contrived and at worst narrow-minded, bigoted and segregatory.